The last thing anyone wants in their Arizona home, especially over the winter season, is unwanted pests and rodents taking up residence. When the days get colder and shorter, mice, rats, and other pests and rodents start to prepare for the weather and seek shelter inside homes and businesses. These rodents don’t hibernate like other animals, so when the outside gets less than desirable for them, they, like most of us, look for a cozy and warm place to go. Your Arizona home can make the ideal place for these unwanted pests and rodents to spend the chillier parts of the year. Let’s review some tips for how to protect your home from pests and rodents this winter and beyond.
How to Protect Your Home from Pests and Rodents this Winter
The best way to prevent pests and rodents this winter season, and any season of the year, is to invest in a pest control program for your Arizona home. While pest control programs can help to eliminate problems you may face with pests and rodents, there are also a few other things you can do to ensure you keep these uninvited guests away and to protect your home from pests and rodents this winter.
- Seal Cracks, Holes, and Crevices: Mice can fit through a crack or hole one-fourth of an inch or larger (about the width of a pencil and/or pen), because of this, it is important to check around your home for even the smallest of cracks and crevices that are open to the outdoors. Check for holes in window and door screens, gaps around windows and doors, cracks around your foundation, vent seals, and where phone, cable, gas, and electric lines enter into your home. With early detection and elimination of any holes, cracks or gaps that mice and other rodents can get through, it will help to prevent them from moving in.
- Keep Your Kitchen Clean and Remove Food Sources: Even the smallest piece of food can attract pests and rodents. The key to keeping pests and rodents away is to not make food easily accessible to them. Make sure you clean up immediately after preparing foods and tightly seal all ingredients and leftovers. Ensure that all food around your home is in sealed containers and not easy for these rodents to get to. This includes pet food. Inspect food bags and boxes for rips and tears before you store them in your cabinets. Never leave food out, not even in the trash, and be sure to clean up counters and vacuum or mop up any crumbs, spills and/or residue. You should never leave pet food out when your animal is not eating, as that can welcome rodents to a feast of their own.
- Eliminate Clutter and Clean Often: Pests and rodents love clutter and use it to create their nests and homes. Protect your home from pests and rodents this winter by not welcoming them into your home and giving them a place to build a home of their own. Keep clutter at a minimum and properly store old clothing, bedding, magazines, boxes, etc. Wiping cabinets and counters and mopping and vacuuming floors can help you maintain a pest and rodent free home.
- Store Firewood Away from Your Home: Keeping pests out of your firewood and not bringing them into your home on firewood, is a key way to protect your home from pests and rodents. Pests tend to love to hide in wood piles, and keeping them close to a building is an open invitation for pests and rodents to enter. Wood-boring pests can tunnel through the wood and into the structure. It is recommended that firewood is stored at least three to five feet from any structures. When you bring firewood indoors, check for pests and burn the wood right away.
- Clean up Outdoors: The exterior of your home or business can also welcome pests and rodents in. Things like tree limbs that lead to your windows or roof, vines, wood piles near the exterior (as mentioned above), and overgrown grass and shrubs can be welcome mats for pests and rodents to come inside. Trim foliage near your home and look for any items close to the structure that could give pests and rodents an easy entry point.
While you can take every precaution to protect your home from pests and rodents this winter, the best way to prevent unwanted pests and rodents is with a pest control program. In the colder months of the year, pests and rodents make their way indoors seeking food, water, and shelter. Your home can create the perfect place for them to ride out the chillier days and nights.
At Bucksworth Home Services, we know that when it comes to pests and rodents, you want to be able to relax with peace of mind and keep your Phoenix and Tucson area home protected. We are committed to helping you have a pest free home, so you can stop worrying about whether your family is safe inside or outside.
Schedule an appointment so we can get started today.